With the world getting crazier by the second, regularly taking some time out to get your mind, body, and soul right is more important than ever. We’re perpetually busy, and a lot of times we take care of other people’s needs before our own, but at some point, you gotta slow down and take time out for self. “Self-Care” has become a bit of a buzz term, but it’s necessity can’t be denied. A few months back I made a conscious decision to carve out more time in my schedule to step away from my work and do the little things that make me happy and help me feel more balanced and I gotta say, it feels great. I still have a lot on my plate, but now I enjoy it even more.
If you’ve been wanting to step up your self-care game but wasn’t sure where to start, here are 10 simple (and budget friendly) ideas to help you out:
- Do an at-home mani + pedi. Watch your favorite DVDs or turn on some music while you do it.
- Light candles, turn on soft music, and take a relaxing bubble bath. Throw in a DIY face scrub or mask while you’re at it!
- Netflix and Chill all by your lonesome.
- Favorite Wine. Favorite Meal. Sex and the City DVDs. Nuff said.
- Grab a matinee at your favorite movie theater. Don’t forget the popcorn!
- Have an artist’s date to explore a new place in your city.
- Whether you pray to Buddha or the Gods of Fashion, take an hour to journal, meditate, or read a trashy magazine.
- Sleep in an extra hour and read the paper instead of your Twitter Feed when you get up.
- Have a coffee shop date with an old friend (or alone with your favorite book).
- If it’s warm, grab a blanket, pack a lunch, and head to the park to read and people watch (wear sunglasses so they can’t see you).
What are your favorite things to do for your self-care moments?